- Litigation, arbitration and mediation
- Commercial and contractual disputes
- Boardroom and shareholder disputes
- Partnership disputes
- Intellectual property claims
- Insolvency, restructuring and winding up
- Claims against company directors
- Professional negligence
- Technology and IT disputes
- Warranties on the sale of businesses or goods
- Healthcare disputes
- Alternative dispute resolution
Commercial dispute resolution
Our team know the techniques and legal principles to resolve issues promptly and conclusively. Even if you are not currently involved in a dispute, we can advise if you could be at risk in the future.
As all disputes differ we will take the time to understand your specific circumstances so you have a lawyer who appreciates your situation and has the knowledge to pursue the outcome you require.
Where necessary we will also handpick a commercial dispute resolution team for your situation, drafting in specialists from elsewhere in Cripps Pemberton Greenish to maximise the likelihood of a successful outcome.
The advice we give is unambiguous and based on extensive knowledge and expertise. You will be kept in the loop throughout the process, and any measures we take will be considered shrewdly and executed promptly.
We will work with you to agree the best possible approach to funding the cost of any dispute. We have access to third party litigation funding and can offer a mix of fixed fees, deferred payments, ‘no win, no fee’ or ‘no win, low fee’ terms to make funding claims or defences affordable.
- Acting in arbitration for a property investment company in recovering indemnified sums amounting to US$5 million wrongfully withheld by insurers and involving issues of US and UK aviation law.
- Acting for an employer under a building contract in a dispute involving breach of contract by the engineer and professional negligence of the architect during the design of a large retail centre. Quantum for the dispute was circa £400,000 and complexities included advising on insurance provisions and dealing with liquidators.
Contractual and commercial disputes
- Representing a leading landfill operator in a £14 million contractual and leasehold property forfeiture dispute involving disputes with the Environment Agency relating to landfill site management and site licence compliance.
- Acting for a large marketing agency in a dispute with a high street retailer concerning termination of a substantial advertising contract. Successfully negotiating a settlement in pre-action correspondence.
Injunctions & urgent remedies
- Representing a computer software company in relation to proceedings over the fraudulent transfer of sums totalling £33 million from its bank accounts, which was the subject of an investigation by the Serious Fraud Office.
- Acting for a large multinational company in successfully restraining the use of its confidential information by a former employee and a competitor company. The defendants submitted to an injunction and agreed to pay our client’s costs.
- Representing an international company in a claim concerning non-delivery of circa £150,000 of stock as well as advising on insolvency procedures.
- Advising a multinational group on the completion of its worldwide debt restructuring.
- Acting for a music publishing company in a claim brought by a composer for breach of copyright and unpaid royalties.
- Advising a luxury beauty brand in relation to grey market imports and trademark infringement.
Don't just take our word for it...
"Ed Weeks leads an 'excellent team' at 'stand-out firm'. "
'We've worked with the firm for many years. Consequently they know our business very well, they understand our culture, what's important to us and the way we work.'
'[Cripps Pemberton Greenish] is regularly involved in litigation in London, including some major litigation including one of the biggest fraud cases in the UK. It frequently acts for large international clients. Its lawyers have experience of work in City firms and abroad which allows it to give a serious offering to clients without the central London price tag.'
"It is a strong regional team with excellent experience and professionalism, dealing with complex matters effectively and efficiently. A first-rate team.'
'A particular quality is their skill in judging how to run litigation cost effectively. The lawyers I have dealt with know when to do the work themselves and when to use counsel. They also know when to incur costs and when not to.'
A satisfied client reports: "The advice has been timely and consistent."
"They have understood the dispute well and their advice has taken the cost and benefit of each course of action into consideration."
"They are generally fantastic and they certainly achieved an incredible result for us. They are a friendly firm with excellent capabilities and they charge reasonably."
"We have been impressed by the commercial knowledge and professionalism of the Cripps Pemberton Greenish team, and have been happy with the services and advice received through multiple engagements."
"They know us – who we are, and how we like to approach the projects we are involved in. They know the market we operate in.’
‘I would recommend Cripps as the go-to mid-sized firm in the South East for commercial disputes.
"The individuals I have dealt with are stand-out specifically for their commercial and litigation nous. When to litigate and when not, and when to instruct or involve Counsel. "
‘A strong, capable and experienced team who stand out as efficient and sensible litigators focused on finding solutions for their clients.’
"The team provides excellent customer service and communication,"
"We were impressed by their knowledge."
"The firm works really hard to understand a client’s business and makes real efforts to ensure its advice is practical and usable."