Directors & shareholders
We advise on all matters of corporate law and ensure the smooth, uninterrupted running of businesses. When problems do arise our expert litigation lawyers are there to resolve them swiftly and effectively.
Our experienced corporate team deals with all issues related to the structure and management of limited companies, from capital share matters (drafting articles of association, shareholders and investment agreements, arranging capital restructures and share option schemes) to advising on corporate governance and responsibility.
We also help with corporate administrative tasks such as preparing meetings and resolutions, company secretarial matters like maintaining statutory books and records, plus advise you on your duties and liabilities – keeping you abreast of shareholders rights and highlighting potential conflicts of interest.
Our team represents both companies and individuals from a variety of sectors. We navigate different areas of law by bringing together professionals with diverse specialisms; our employment, dispute resolution, corporate, insolvency and other lawyers can overcome whatever legal challenges you are facing.
We will work with you, protect your rights, manage risk, explain options clearly and guide you through legal complexities. Our legal advice for directors is there to avert difficulties so you can focus on conducting business without unwanted distractions.
We are recognised experts in the field of shareholder disputes, acting either for the company and majority shareholders or for the minority shareholders. Our expertise helps such disputes to be swiftly resolved with minimum damage to the business. Ed Weeks is the author of ‘A Practical Guide to Shareholder Disputes in Family Businesses’.
- Settling a claim for unfair prejudice against minority shareholders in a family owned property company by negotiating the buyout of the majority shareholders by the minority.
- Successfully acted for a minority shareholder in relation to breach of fiduciary duty by majority shareholders.
- Advised on the restructuring of a corporate group with 160 companies. The project involved well over 1,000 completion documents.
- Advised on the demerger of non-core trading companies from a property investment group which involved detailed negotiations with the shareholders group comprising over 80 individuals.
- Advising on various strategies to identify, trace and remove lost or missing shareholders.
- Advising directors on identifying and managing trading and operational risk.
- Drafting and negotiating directors’ service and incentive agreements.
- Dealing with rights issues and the reclassification of share capital.
- Undertaking ‘house-keeping’ or ‘grooming’ exercises to prepare a company for a prospective sale.