- Structuring advice
- Financing and re-financing
- Buying and selling
- Granting and taking leases
- Lease renewals
- Applications for consent
- Serving notices
- Interpreting leases
- Rent recovery
- Service charge disputes
- Break options
- Tenant insolvency
- Contested rent review
- Major contractual dispute
- Planning and environment
Our large property team offers real expertise in every area from funding through to acquisition, active management and eventual disposal.
Our teams are structured to suit the needs of our clients and the complexities of the transaction. Clients require the strategic advice of our partners in relation to the more complex transactions whereas we have a leasing and licensing team for the more routine portfolio management work. The same team deals with routine claims for the recovery of possession, rent and service charge.
Our fees are structured accordingly and offer unrivalled value for money. By using appropriate resource and information technology, we are able to pass on savings to our clients by reducing and fixing our fees. In many cases, we can offer an annual fixed retainer.
For the more complex and high value deals, we provide a partner led service that clients appreciate and have specialist teams who deal with property tax, corporate finance and investment structuring. Many of us are lawyers who previously worked in top City firms but have chosen to work outside London. We apply the same rigorous standards but at less cost to you.
We also have one of the largest property dispute teams in the country. This means that, if and when things don’t go to plan, we have the expertise and experience to resolve the issue quickly and cost effectively.
Our clients including household name investors, developers and registered providers, Plcs, financial institutions, private companies, senior lenders, private investors, local and national government, individuals and charities.
We have pioneered onshore outsourcing collaborations with top City law firms acting for large property investors, such as the purchase or refinancing of portfolios where work is shared among several firms.
- Advising educational institutions on finance arrangements including finance for the provision of new student accommodation through complex rental arrangements and securing bank loans for over £20 million to fund refurbishment and new building works.
- Dealing with investment and asset management work on mixed portfolios, acting for leading industry names and major shopping centres.
- Acting for the sellers of a half share in a regional shopping centre worth £500 million and acting for the sellers of a shopping centre worth £80 million.
- Acting for a substantial property company in the establishment of a joint venture with a major housebuilder to acquire circa 300 homes – the purchase of the properties was financed by a loan from Santander of circa £25 million and an equity investment by the client company.
- Acting for a number of leading property investment companies and pension funds in relation to their portfolio of shopping centres across the UK providing strategic asset management advice, leasing and licensing work and property litigation advice. We have also acted on the disposal of several large regional shopping centres over the years; those deals amount to c£600 million most recently being the part disposal of thecentre:mk for £250 million and the sale of Basildon shopping centre for £90 million.
- Acting for a major pension fund in relation to its mixed-use portfolio across the UK, providing strategic asset management advice, leasing and licensing work and property litigation advice.
- Acting for the investor of a major mixed-use development in Kent comprising 800,000 sq ft of office and business space alongside a major residential scheme.
- With many of our real estate clients, not only do we provide real estate services but our commercial teams will deal with other aspects of the client’s business such as FM agreements, IT contracts, licensing, and employment and Competition Act queries.
- Recently appointed by a major pension fund to deal with all the legal work relating to a residential development (‘build to let’) fund focusing on market rented housing in the UK.
- We have acted on a number of large scale projects involving the sale, acquisition or re-financing of substantial mixed-use property portfolios. This has required us to allocate large numbers of property lawyers to a series of significant transactions, using bespoke technology to create deal rooms and due diligence reports that enable clients to complete large scale transactions within a matter of days.
- Acting for major developers and their insurers in relation to adverse third party claims that could otherwise jeopardise their developments.
- Acted for a UK insurer on its joint venture with a multinational property developer in a shopping centre in southeast England, held through a Jersey unit trust and limited partnership structure.
- Acted for a UK pension provider on its participation in a city-centre residential portfolio structured through an LLP.
- Acted for a UK pension fund on the purchase of a shopping centre in London through the acquisition of a Jersey unit trust.
- Acted for an insurance company on its investment in pan-European commercial property funds, held through limited partnerships, unit trusts and other co-investment vehicles.
Don't just take our word for it...
"highly recommended for any group that wants to develop or maintain retail sites in the UK"
'Stephen Hedley and his team worked on a complex transaction for us; ensuring the documentation tied together to minimise risk whilst also finding solutions to a number of different requests from occupiers, owners and contractors was a credit to their performance and reflective of all the work they undertake on our behalf.'
'The team has a commercial, proactive approach to legal advice.'
“I really like the positive spirit of the Cripps team, the responsiveness, and the good quality of advice”