- The buying or selling of childcare and education businesses
- The establishment of new childcare businesses (including associated property and banking advice)
- Regulatory issues
- Property law
- The management and protection of businesses and personal assets
- Drafting and negotiating commercial agreements on brand protection, intellectual property and GDPR
- Employment law
Our expert team has worked at every level of the education sector. This experience has taught us how to approach problems and find solutions.
A one-size-fits-all approach is inadequate. We recognise that every school, college and university is different. Each institution is complex and unique in its own way.
We invest time building relationships with our clients for this very reason. Because we take time to understand your specific needs, we provide better value than transactional service providers and implement measures that stand the test of time.
We can provide support in every area, including new build projects, refurbishments, fundraising, developing new income streams, procurement, contractual matters, HR issues and tenancies.
Our clients include private schools, independent colleges, major universities plus individual governors and managers. They appreciate our pragmatic, responsive approach, and our ability to explain complex legal processes in clear English.
We also help schools make the transition to academies – supporting them through the process step by step, and providing continuing advice and support thereafter.
- Advising on a substantial refurbishment project for a college for international post graduate students, requiring us to negotiate and reach acceptable terms with a long term commercial tenant. Advice included the enfranchisement process, building and construction issues as well as rights to light, advising on governance and procurement issues as well as planning and regulatory issues.
- Acting for the sellers of two day care nursery companies in the South East
- Acting for a group which operates 15 day care nurseries in connection with the establishment of a new nursery business (including advice in connection with their finance for the project).
- Acting for a purchaser of a day care nursery company based in London
- Acting for the sellers of a well established fostering company to a large national corporate
- Acting for a college on its successful defence of a complex employment claim seeking compensation in excess of £150,000, which included allegations of whistle blowing, equal pay, unfair dismissal and sex and race discrimination lasting five days in Tribunal
- Providing advice to an independent secondary school on its proposed entry into a landowners’ consortium agreement with a land promoter. The agreement regulates the process by which the promoter will seek planning permission, as well as detailing the process with regard to the marketing and disposal of the consented area. Our advice covers not only transactional advice, but also extends to assisting with the tax position relating to the value created by the agreement, and the obtaining of relevant charities consents.
- Advising on the procurement process, building contract, consultant appointments, novation agreements and collateral warranties for the multi-million pound design and construction of new school buildings for an academy school.
- Acting for a university in a complex and time intensive £22 million PFI deal relating to the construction of over 500 flats for student accommodation on the university campus.
- Advising on all legal issues around the rebuilding project including contractual matters for a new academy school. Reviewing the terms of the development agreement for the rebuild of all the school buildings and subsequently supporting the school in its negotiations with the relevant Government department over funding and its obligations.
- Advising governors and management team on all issues relating to conversion to academy status including assisting with the decision making process and the consultation process and all stages through to conversion