Health & care
Our healthcare team delivers full legal expertise across M&A, property, employment, disputes, banking, IP, data protection and private wealth. The firm takes a genuine multi-disciplinary approach to transactions, drawing on specialists from across the firm who have been acting for healthcare clients over many years and can pre-empt potential pitfalls and proactively advise clients on how to achieve successful outcomes.
Our core focus is to help community pharmacies and private care providers, including care home settings and providers of domiciliary care, to achieve their strategic goals with minimal stress and maximum efficiency.
The pharmacy industry is a heavily regulated environment which requires lawyers who have an in-depth understanding of the sector. Our multi-disciplinary healthcare team can support you through every stage in the lifecycle of your business, from incorporation through to divestment and everything in between.
Each year we advise on dozens of pharmacy sales and acquisitions, acting for independent pharmacies and multi-site operators. We have established a smooth and efficient transaction process, enabling both sides to achieve the outcome they desire. Our substantial property team also advises our multi-site clients on all aspects of their real estate portfolios including planning, development and disputes resolution.
We are honorary members of the Association of Independent Multiple Pharmacies.
Domiciliary care and care homes
Our team has extensive experience in the care sector, an industry dominated by smaller private companies. The challenges facing the sector mean that the prospect of either buying or selling your company can be daunting. With our wealth of experience in this field, we are well equipped to advise on these challenges, including employment issues, relationships with local authorities and funding.
Our work has provided us with an in depth understanding of how the sector operates, enabling us to provide clients with the level of professional support and guidance they deserve. A large proportion of our work involves the acquisition of domiciliary care providers, as well as buying and selling care homes (whether as asset sales or shares sales). Though our expertise does not stop there, be it employment advice, finance and investment, real estate or litigation, Cripps Pemberton Greenish will work with you to understand your needs and address them.
- We advised pharmacy group Paydens on the acquisition of SG Court Pharmacy Group, a chain of 21 pharmacies predominately located across Kent, Sussex and Surrey, making it one of the largest privately owned pharmacy groups in the country with 129 pharmacies. We provided legal advice on all aspects of the acquisition including refinancing, negotiating the purchase agreement and undertaking a due diligence exercise across the 21 pharmacies. We are Paydens’ go to firm on for their acquisitions and disposals of pharmacies and real estate matters in line with their strategic objectives. We advise on all aspects of the transactions and where relevant ran these alongside the corresponding regulatory process, including change of ownership applications, relocation applications and merger/consolidation applications. We also advised Paydens on a multi-bank refinance of their group facility in early 2020 and a recent corporate reorganization of the group.
- We act for Day Lewis in its acquisition and disposal of pharmacies as well as real estate, technology, dispute resolution, family and commercial matters. We handle a large volume of transactions each year. During 2020 we acted on the acquisition of pharmacies in Nailsea and Norbury and numerous sales, some of which involved a transfer of the NHS contract only and various associated regulatory considerations.
- The team advised the sellers of Axis Medicare on their sale of the company to the Ardant Pharmaceuticals group.
- The team advised the shareholders of a family-owned pharmacy company on their retirement sale of the company to one of the fastest growing independent pharmacy groups which owns over 17 pharmacies across the South. The share sale completed in under tight timeframes and during covid-19 lockdown.
Health & Social Care
- We acted for a leading Health & Social Care group in connection with a multi-million pound refinance involving two of its care homes. This involved a loan to finance its future UK healthcare projects. Our scope required us to review and report to the client on the bank’s security package including debentures, legal charges and cross guarantees between the companies in the group. We also dealt with the bank’s extensive condition precedents and managed the usual ancillaries e.g. board and shareholder resolution drafting and discharging the previous lender’s security.
- We acted for the sellers of a well-established fostering company to a large national corporate.
- We also act for a number of early years nursery settings – read more here.
Care Home provider
- Following the acquisition of a number of companies, our client, a leading care home provider, decided to undertake a reorganisation in order to simplify its group structure. We worked alongside the auditors, to agree the structure of the reorganisation. We prepared all of the associated legal documents to implement the reorganisation; this involved a number of intra-group business and asset transfers and transferring shares in subsidiary companies within the group.
- We advised our client on the consolidation of their position as one of the largest domiciliary care providers in the UK and expanding their footprint in Kent. We acted for our client on the acquisition, including undertaking commercial, corporate, property and employment due diligence, negotiating the sale and purchase agreement and dealing with implementing a new lease.
Don't just take our word for it...
“I would like to take this opportunity to express my sincere thanks for the work you have put in on my behalf in achieving a tidy and timely practice sale."
"Your professionalism was apparent throughout and I appreciated that there was constant communication with me"
"Thanks for your responsiveness and efficient professionalism handling the acquisition of our dental clinic. It was refreshing to work with plain speaking proactive lawyers who understood the importance of key aspects of seeing a deal through, whether financial or principles around clinical matters."
“Cripps Pemberton Greenish & team have provided a seamless service for the sale of our pharmacies. Their skill, knowledge and attention to detail was clearly apparent throughout the lengthy and stressful period, through to completion. Their credible professionalism gave us added value and confidence.”
"Cripps Pemberton Greenish have a strong reputation dealing with healthcare clients"
"Being a first time buyer, Cripps PG helped me a lot, you were very kind and understanding, and completed my paperwork efficiently. You really have passion for what you do."