Our property dispute team is one of the largest and most highly regarded in the country. We give expert advice on every kind of property dispute, whether it involves land, buildings, or their use.
We have specialists in every relevant area of the law. We listen to your concerns, investigate the disagreement from every angle, and work out the swiftest and most cost-effective way to settle a dispute.
The first thing we do is explain your rights clearly. This is particularly important in disputes with neighbours. Contentious issues include boundary disputes, overhanging trees, encroachment, extensions, restrictive covenants, or arguments about rights of way, rights to drains, shared drives or blocking light.
Landlords, tenants, those who co-own or cohabit properties also need clarity. Landlords need help when tenants damage property, while tenants pursue landlords who withhold important services.
We also deal with sales and purchases. We settle expensive property disputes that hold up exchange and completion, and help if you want to buy the freehold of a property, negotiate a longer lease or take over the management of the property yourself.
Whatever property dispute you are involved in, our specialists in property law will work hard to prevent disagreements going to court. However, if this cannot be averted we will represent you professionally and vigorously to ensure a positive outcome.
- Acting for a government department on a conditional lease break with associated dilapidations claim linked to the residential redevelopment of an office building. This has resulted in a complex development agreement with the acquiring developer and freeholder to protect the government department in its occupation of adjoining office premises.
- Acting on a heavily contested break option linked to complex separation works that had to be completed in a specific way in order to exercise the break. There were several break date extensions (resulting in further rental income for the client) before a surrender was agreed on terms that were extremely favourable for the client.
- Dealing with a multi-million pound right of way dispute that threatened the client’s business; we secured a court order in favourable terms which allowed the access to be used as before.
- Acting for a government department in relation to their exit from major office premises in Holborn. This involved a significant lease restructuring exercise following negotiation of preferential terms including payment of a substantial exit premium to our client. The case also involved major issues in relation to dilapidations, alterations and the definition of tenant’s fixtures and chattels. We were able to negotiate a beneficial exit settlement which facilitated a relocation and major refurbishment of other premises.
- Acting in a £7 million terminal dilapidations claim for a well-known property investment company in relation to a large office building in central Basildon, Essex.
- Acting on a dilapidations claims in relation to a large office building in Liverpool. The pre-action protocol on dilapidations was invoked but the landlord took an aggressive line and issued proceedings. The claim totalled £610,000. We prepared the defence and annexed a detailed response to the schedules. Having protected the client’s position, we outmanoeuvred the landlord’s solicitors in subsequent negotiations and secured a favourable settlement of £320,000 inclusive of costs.
- Advising a client in relation to a breach of contract for sale of a large residential block of flats where the buyers failed to complete their purchases and sought to bring counterclaims for mispresentation. The court agreed with us that no misrepresentation had been made and we secured a favourable costs settlement accordingly.
- Representing a water company in connection with a compensation claim following the construction of a water trunk main. This is a complex claim for disturbance as a result of reduced crop production with high profile in the local farming community.
- Acting on a long running historic rights to light claim where the offending development had been in place for over five years. This matter involved some highly technical issues of law. The claim involved a rights to light claim based on the doctrine of modern grant rather than the Prescription Act which is unusual and more complex. Having issued proceedings on behalf of our client, we secured a favourable settlement at mediation before trial saving them substantial costs and providing certainty of outcome.
- Acting for a title indemnity insurer in relation to a rights to light title indemnity policy where the limit of indemnity was £22 million. The policy covered the infringements of rights to light by a proposed development adjacent to a prominent London landmark. All potential claims were settled before proceedings were issued for a sum substantially less of the overall policy indemnity limit.
- Acting for a developer client in relation to a significant and valuable ‘call’ option dispute relating to a key access strip to a development site. The matter involved the enforcement of the option against another housebuilder who owned the adjacent plot.
- Acting for a major developer in relation to a ransom strip claim over a competitor’s development which settled for £500,000 after hard fought negotiations at mediation.
- Enforcement of a number of contracts for the conditional sale of land and property where the buyer claimed that the conditions had not been satisfied.
- Acting for a government department in defending a £14 million terminal dilapidations claim at the expiry of 40 year leases of four large office blocks in Croydon.
- Acting for a government department in successfully defending a claim by the landlord that the break option had not been validly exercised due to a breach of the break conditions. We successfully negotiated a settlement by which the client paid only £40,000 against a potential ongoing liability of £1 million.