Prenuptial agreements & postnuptial agreements
A nuptial agreement, whether before or after marriage (or both) could form part of your broader financial planning.
The main benefit of prenuptial agreements and postnuptial agreements, of course, is to protect you and your spouse from expensive court proceedings in the future.
Although they are not automatically enforceable in the UK, the Supreme Court has given recognition to both prenuptials and postnuptials and the Law Commission has recommended new legislation. In many cases now they influence the outcome of divorce settlements and can offer a good deal of protection.
Our team has extensive experience writing nuptial agreements and offering expert advice. We help both UK based and international couples, and frequently deal with complex or unusual arrangements. We can also tap in to our global network of family lawyers, who work alongside us to create prenuptial agreements that comply with both domestic and foreign laws.
Our approach is to take time to discuss with you the assets you wish to protect, and create a prenuptial agreement or postnuptial agreement that suits your individual circumstances. All your options will be considered and everything explained clearly.
We have advised on a broad range of both prenuptial and postnuptial agreements. Most recently:
- We prepared a prenuptial agreement for a self-made entrepreneur who who was about to enter into his second marriage and wanted to safeguard his 85% company shareholding.
- We advised an English lawyer, who was resident in Japan and due to get married in Japan, on the English law aspects of the pre-nuptial agreement he was entering into in Japan.
- We acted for a client who wished to protect her future inheritance. Her wealth at the time of the agreement was £10 million, however she stood to receive significantly more wealth throughout the marriage.
- We acted for a husband in relation to a post-nuptial agreement and successfully negotiated a fair and reasonable division of the assets in circumstances where the husband and wife were uncertain whether the marriage would continue, and required the protection of an agreement in order to avoid lengthy and costly court proceedings if the relationship did break down.
- In recent months we have also advised a number of clients in relation to nuptial agreements involving assets or connections with Europe and the Far East.
Click on the link to see the answers to some of the most common questions we are asked about prenuptial agreements and postnuptial agreements.
Don't just take our word for it...
"...they simply could not have been more helpful every step of the way"
"I have never dealt with a firm who go above and beyond so much."
"They are very experienced and brilliant at what they do, and I always know what to expect."
"Cripps Pemberton Greenish has a "very good reputation" for its private client practice, which often handles complex, high-value matters with international aspects."
"I'm very, very impressed with the firm," reports an interviewee, while another praises "the clear professional advice that they offer and the swift responses that they always give."
"Sources also describe them as 'innovative, forward-looking and flexible.'"