For this work we will charge on a time spent basis. The hourly rates for our team range from between £190 – £460 plus VAT.
The costs of our employment tribunal services (businesses)
Advising a Respondent in relation to defending an unfair dismissal claim in an employment tribunal
The amount of time spent on each stage of the process will depend on the complexity of the matter, in particular the number of relevant documents and number of witnesses.
The table below sets out the likely range of our fees for each stage of the tribunal process
|Type of Work||Range of fees (£)|
|Reviewing relevant documents, drafting case assessment summary and advising on quantum||1,400 – 1,700|
|Drafting and filing the employers response form (ET3)||2,000 – 3,500|
|Preparing for and attending Preliminary Hearing (via telephone)||1,400 – 1,700|
|Considering the Claimant’s document setting out how much they want the tribunal to award them if they win their claim (known as a Schedule of Loss) and preparing a Counter-Schedule if appropriate||750 – 1,500|
|Dealing with disclosure / preparation of list of documents and considering documents disclosed by Claimant||2,500 – 5,000|
|Preparation of bundle of documents for final hearing||1,000 – 2,000|
|Preparation of witness statement for Respondent’s main witness (estimated cost per statement)||2,500 – 5,000|
|Preparation of additional witness statements (estimated cost per statement)||950 – 2,500|
|Briefing Counsel||1,200 – 2,100|
|Total estimated costs – to full hearing, assuming only 1 witness and excluding VAT||13,700 – 25,000|
The range of fees set out in the table above are based on the following assumptions:
• Our client provides us with all of the necessary information, documents, comment on documents and instructions we may need in a timely manner;
• Our client provides us with adequate instructions and information to allow us to prepare the ET3 form at least 10 working days before the Tribunal deadline;
• The Claimant acts reasonably throughout the process without excessive levels of communication;
• We are not required to attend a tribunal hearing;
• We are not involved in any protracted settlement negotiations;
• We are not required to make numerous applications to the Employment Tribunal;
• The work proceeds without any unforeseen or unusual complications.
If any of these assumptions are incorrect or change over time, the fees set out in the table above may increase.
Expenses and additional charges that the Claimant is likely to be required to pay include:
• Counsel’s fees
• Fees for expert witnesses
• Photocopying charges
The time it takes from your initial instructions to the final resolution of your matter depends largely on the stage at which the case is resolved. If a settlement is reached during pre-claim conciliation, your case is likely to take between 2-6 weeks. If the claim proceeds to a Final Hearing your case is likely to take between 6-12 months. This is just an estimate and we will of course be able to give you a more accurate timescale once we have more information and as the matter progresses.
We have six members of our team who may work on your matter and further details on each of them can be found by clicking on their names below. Regardless of who works on your matter, they will be supervised by a partner in our Employment team.