Partner Chat: Mike Vos
In this month’s Partner Chat, the Cripps Pemberton Greenish in a Day team caught up with Mike Vos, partner in the Residential Investment team.
Within the team, Mike is responsible for the firm’s international work, focussing on foreign investment into the UK. He is also a trusted adviser to a number of institutional and private companies focussing on all aspects of property development.
- What do you remember about your first day at Cripps Pemberton Greenish?
It was 1st August 1988. I was taken out for lunch and on the way
back got caught in a massive hail storm and sat for the rest of the afternoon in the office dripping wet!
- What’s the best advice you’ve been given?
Be your own person and stay true to yourself whilst at the same time taking into account how the consequences of what you do might affect those around you. Work hard and play hard. There is no second round!
- What is the most surprising thing a client has ever said to you?
‘You have done such a fantastic job, I want to pay you a bonus.’ This has happened two or three times but always a really nice surprise being a personal/team accolade and financial benefit to the firm.
- If you weren’t a lawyer, what would you be?
A naturalist/explorer à la David Attenborough.
- What did you want to be when you were growing up?
A racing driver: a good family friend was Jack Sears (British sports car champion) and I was a great admirer of Stirling Moss.
- What would your super power be?
Be able to speak any language in the world.
- What is top of your bucket list?
Run the Ultra Big 5 Marathon in South Africa.
- Guiltiest pleasure?
Drinking a bottle or two of decent Bordeaux.
- What is the worst job you’ve ever done?
Working on the shop floor of the junior aspirin factory. Everything tasted of oranges for months even after I left!
- What is your favourite book?
Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks.