Is there any other way to dispute a Will?

28 September, 2012
by: Cripps Pemberton Greenish

In my previous post, I looked at challenging a Will.

However, it is not always possible to successfully dispute a Will and, in these cases, what else can be done to challenge the distribution of a person’s estate?

One option is under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 (“the Act”).

Under the Act anyone who is an “eligible claimant” can bring a claim for a share of or a larger share of a person’s estate.

Eligible claimants include spouses and former spouses, children (including persons treated as such), dependants (this has a very broad definition) and cohabitants.

Whether a claim succeeds and the amount of any award will depend on a range of factors including the size of the estate and the financial resources and needs of the parties.

I am always willing to discuss potential claims under the Act without obligation and typically act for clients in this type of Will dispute case under “no win, no fee” agreements.

Please see our website for more information